Tuesday, November 30, 2004

How shocked I am

I decided I'd sit and read away messages until 1pm so this entry would be totally legit. OK, here goes. The shocker of the year: My store wasn't put on the truck this morning and if they were going to get it to me it'd have to be tonight or tomorrow morning early. My father drives a tractor trailer for UPS, so I KNOW what that means. Let me backtrack a bit so you can get a taste of how I do. I have probably called the company that supplies our "indoor advertising" material 50 times since the store was ordered. Yesterday I got the tracking number and called every location over and over until the store arrived and made sure that it was going to make it to the next location on time. It arrived at Scranton, PA last night and was poised to be delivered this morning. I spoke with the secretary last night and she told me to call back in the morning and they would have an exact time when I should expect the delivery. I set my alarm for 7am, got up, and gave them a call. The women recognized me and was very pleasent. She asked for my tracking number, I gave it, and I made sure I threw in a, "I'm so happy this all going to happen on time. If it didn't it would ruin all the plans I've made with sprint, the phone company, the cable company, my employees... Let's not even think about it." And then she was like, "uh, let me transfer you to dispatch." A man from scranton, PA with a brooklyn accent picked up and told me the news. So now I have to go back to the Stroud Mall tonight to accept the packages and put the store together through the night. Not only that, but I will have to be there early tomorrow morning for the electrician and the cable company. Not only that, but tomorrow is my 24th birthday. At the very least, my store might be 75% completed by this time tomorrow.

I tried to avoid this subject, but tomorrow is my birthday. I am not avoiding it because I'm a year older or because of any of the normal reasons, my birthday has always been a wierd subject for me. In college we used to celebrate everyone's birthdays like they were the most important thing in the world, but my birthday always fell on a wierd time. December 1st is normally the first weekend after fooball season is over and most of us either went home to see our families or to start bringing stuff home for winter break. Consequently, other than my 21st birthday, we never really celebrated. I stopped mentioning my birthday because I felt like a silly kid wanting people to remember. There really aren't any more landmark birthdays until I get social security, so it's not like they are all as meaningful as they were when I was 17, 18, or 21, but it still sucks to be the one left out. I had quite possibly the worst birthday of my life last year. I was the assistant O Line coach and strenght and conditioning coach at Millersville University. It sounds like a good job for a football fanatic like myself, but I hated it. It involved 120 hours a week and 10 grand a year. I figured it out once and realized I was making just over a dollar an hour. The pay and hours sucked, but I also had to take all the blame for everything that happened because I was the whipping boy of the coaching staff. Anyways, my birthday comes around and I had the day off. My roommate was gone for the weekend, and all my friends were out in Jersey. I had some beer in the fridge so I decided I'd have a few and just hang out. It started getting dark, so I went to turn my light on and it burnt out, so I was alone in the dark on my birthday drinking beer and playing xbox. I felt so alone that I went on kazaa and downloaded a few versions of happy birthday to listen to while I had a piece of cake my mom had dropped off at the last football game. I couldn't drink fast enough and in a few hours I was pretty wasted. I have a tendency to get emotional when I get too drunk, and I could feel the tears on their way, so I put the rest of the case of bush back in the fridge and had a cup of cofee.

That brings me back to tomorrow. I don't want anyone recognizing my birthday. I don't want anyone to know it's coming up, I don't want anyone to get me anything, and I don't want to expect to feel like it's my day. According to what is going on I'll be up all night tonight building a store and up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to meet with utility installers. I don't know if I do this to myself in some masocistic twist of my subconscious, but I just want to be alone. When I was truely alone on my birthday I felt like I had nothing left in my life to look forward to, but I can't think of any other way I want to honor the day of my birth. Even when my mom asked me what I wanted for my birthday I felt creepy and told her whatever and left the room. I just don't feel like I'm worth the attention.

Well, seeing as I am home today instead of in the office I think I'll do something to pass the time until the delivery comes. Xbox Live! is great for that. Nothing like shooting someone in their digital face when you are down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home