Saturday, December 04, 2004

Who's the Boss

I just realized how much I am going to be responsible for today. My job is pretty awesome now that my store is built, but I have so much responsibility. First of all, today I was supposed to meet the regional Sprint PCS rep and have him teach my employees everything there is to know about sprint and bring me some promotional materials. He didn't show, the two employees who could make it to the first training session and I sat and talked about non sprint issues that we are going to have to deal with. I did do a little sprint training, but I want them to learn most of it from the regional rep, Joe M so I am not responsible for them making mistakes. We talked about dress codes, days off, scheduals, holidays, and a bunch of other logistical bullshit that has to be dealth with. Then we got to handling the money and inventory, locking up, opening the store, and book keeping. The book keeping is still being worked through, so I skipped that talk, but the money and inventory all of a sudden seemed like it was at risk. Not only that, but I realized that I might be at risk. I have to deposit the money from the register every day so that Joe G can put it toward all the things that keep my store alive and keep a constant supply of phones coming in as they are going out. What if someone realizes that I carry a fistfull of cash to the bank every morning? I dont' think a lot of our business will be cash, but what if it is? What if I am carrying a thousand bucks every morning? What if one of my employees tips someone off? I mentioned that we have to be careful with the money because of the supply chain issues and then cut myself off because I didn't even want to tell them my plans for depositing the cash. I did all the interviews personally, so I trust all my people, but what if something happens? I have been looking at handguns for a few years and the realization that I might be a one man armored car pushed that purchase up on my wish list.

So we finished talking about how awesome this job is, I helped a few customers that had account issues and we left. With their questions and the info I wanted to get accross it took a good 4 hours to get everything done. I don't even have power to my store yet, so there was really nothing I could do short of calling orders in to the office, so I had no problem going home a little early. (I would call the orders in, but I don't want my store starting off looking like that, orders or not, I want this to look professional as hell.)

I spent the rest of the afternoon with my xbox. Yes, it is Friday night. No, I am not going out. I am freaken exhausted from a long ass week. I don't need anything else wearing me out. Tomorrow is the annual UPS Feeders (tractor trailer) Christmas party arrainged by my father. I am excited to hang out with all his crazy co workers. Open bar + bunch of truck drivers = one great night.

I just remembered! I have the best audio recording to ever be put in digital form and shared on the internet. I downloaded it way before the RIAA beat the fun out of music, so get off my nuts. So anyways, it's a live performance of "I left my Heart in San Francisco" done by Dean Martin. I have listened to it probably 100 times this week (I found the MP3 CD I put away years ago in a box in my closet). The reason it's so awesome is because you can tell he's in an intimate setting with a small band and probably only a few hundred listeners that he takes on an emotional ride. Now I am no sap that listens to sad music with my little pink box of tissues, and this isnt' that kinda performance. It starts out with another member of the Rat Pack introducing him to big band style enterance music. I wish I could recognize who it was. I know the voice, but I can't figure it out. He comes out to the words, "Here he is, the star of our show, direct from the bar, Dean Martin." He comes out and feins drunkedness (actually he was probably feining sobriety the rest of the song, but I'll give him the benefit) and sings the first line, "I left my heart in Fran Sanciso." The crowd was rowdy when he came out and that line made them all have a hearty chuckle. It was not a fake laugh. It was a real and genuine outburst. If there was any chance the reaction was faked, this tune would have never made it on the list of songs to save from my old computer. From the first sounds you know they are really deep into this show and enjoying every bit of it. Then he keeps on singing. By the time he is half way through the first verse the crowd is silent. He has gone from making them laugh to making them sit in perfect silence. Then some chick makes a whooping noise at Dean and (I belive it's) Frank Sinatra gives her a disgusted "oh shut your God damn mouth" and the crowd comes back in with a laugh. Then someone points off stage and explains to the rowdy young listener, "That's the next fellas that are gunna come out here. You scream at him. He'll hit you with the mike-a-phone." Wow, I don't know if I'm that tired, or if I've typed out my brain, but I am losing touch with how to describe things that I have on the tip of my tounge. WTF, mate? I hope this doesn't suck as much as it seems to on this end. I am not giving this song what it deserves. I stink.

So after the humor Dean starts hamming it up for the conclusion of his song and ends it to the excited and happy applause of the crowd who can barely wait for him to be done to show their appreciation for what they have just heard. I have never wanted to go back into performing more in my life than when I rediscovered this song. I remember what it was like to take a crowd and make them feel what you wanted them to feel. To truely take a non believer and make them go home humming what you just sang or played or whatever. It is simply one of the best feelings in the world. I also believe very truely that I can sing and that if I dedicated myself to it instead of just doing it on the side that I could do things like what Dean Martin did so long ago. I actually had a dream last night that I was standing on stage singing to a crowd of about 100 people sitting in a dimly lit restaurant at little round tables with white table cloths; each with a small, round, red candle in the middle. I actually went through the emotional process of being on stage and simply killing. I was so proud when I woke up and didn't realize it was a dream for a good minute or two. Then I quickly tried to go back to sleep so I could continue the dream, but it didn't work. It has never worked once in 24 years but I have been doing this as far back as my memory goes. Enough of my stupid dream, the point of this whole waste of space is that I miss performing and think I'd be good at it. OK? Done.

For those of you who just can't get enough of my long winded posts I will be starting a second blog (hopefully tomorrow) where I will do reviews of video games that I play. I don't care if that makes me a super-uber-nerd from Hell or what, but I think the dopes that review games have too many intrests in the gaming world to really say what needs to be said. The magazines are just out to sell games and the websites are run by game development money (via advertising revenue, etc). That being said, I am not looking to bash the standards, but there are a few games that need criticism and a few that need serious praise that will not receive it with the way things are. So in rides Isaac on his white horse in his shining armor. Bleh! I wasn't embarrased talking about almost crying over a hunk of metal that goes on the hood of my truck, but I feel so stupid posting this. Whatever. You knew what I was when you picked me up.

As always, thank you for reading.


To my friends: thank you for being awesome on so many levels. I neglect you guys, won't call for months, stand you up when I say I'm going to do stuff, get stupid drunk at your parties, crack way too many jokes at your expense, don't listen to my voicemail, don't call back when I actually get the messages, and do nothing to deserve your kindness, but no matter what you guys are awesome to me. I don't know what the hell is wrong with you! You should have written me off years ago. Anyways, thanks. I don't know what I'd do without all my palls out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home