Thursday, November 10, 2005

And the results are in...

... and that's all I know.

I got a call from my doctor's office and the lady said the results of my sleep study are in. Here's how the conversation went:

"... speaking."

Nurse: Hi this is SomeNurse from Dr. Cioci's office. I'm calling to schedule a consultation.

Me: ... OH, my results from the sleep study must be in then, right?

Nurse: Yes, they are in. How does Wednesday the 17th at 2pm sound?

Me: There's nothing earlier than next Wednesday?

Nurse: There is, but they are morning appointments at another office.

Me: Great, so when's the earliest I can have my consultation?

Nurse: Wednesday the 17th at 2pm... it's just next Wednesday.

Me: but... ok, wednesday the 17th at 2pm it is.

Nurse: OK, see you on Wednesday.

Me: So... the results are in? What did they say?

Nurse: You'll know on Wednesday the 17th at 2pm. Goodbye.


I am just so excited to be doing something for myself. I wish someone would entertain my curiosity. So that's all I am going to know until wednesday.

I am figuring out exactly how much sleep I need to be awake at work. I went to bed early on Tuesday (between 10:30 and 11) and felt great, so I figured I'd be fine going to bed at midnight last night... I was wrong. I was wiped out at work again today. I think I'll try a little earlier than 10:30 tonight, but there are things I like to do that don't always fit into a good sleep schedule, so we'll have to see.

I'm going to let you guys in on my mental process here. I hate sleeping. I hate going to bed. I hate setting my alarm. I hate everything to do with bed. (When you have company it's a different story, but I still hate sleeping. The closeness you feel laying next to someone cannot adequetly be described by someone like myself with such a weak grip on grammar, but I really like that feeling.) So on a regular night, here's how I decide when to go to bed. Let's say for the sake of this post that I'm going to watch a movie tonight. The movie is 2 hours long. I also want to talk with a few people, do some dishes, clean up a bit, read the news, and do some other bullshit online, but I want to have that all done before I kick back on the couch and pop in the DVD. Let's say what I had planned to do is taking longer than expected and it's now 10:30 and I haven't started the movie yet. I take inventory of how I feel at this exact moment and realize I'm wide awake. I'm not tired at all and I'd really like to see the movie I had planned to watch. I look at the clock again and decide that I'm going to watch the movie anyway. Why? Because I know that if I go to bed NOW that I will wake up feeling like shit and that I will feel like I missed out on enjoying myself during the few hours that I am awake and rarin to go. If I'm going to feel like shit anyway, why not enjoy myself now? So the movie goes in, I watch it in its entirety, and now it's 12:30 in the morning. I turn off the TV and DVD player, go over and shut off Mao and Frank's light and then move over to my desk to turn off my 10 gal tank's light. This, of course forces me to check my AIM buddy list, hotmail, gmail, and blog counter/tracker to see if certain people are on, if anyone has emailed me, and how many people have read this ol site. That normally gets me going and I'll check out a few of my regular sites like fark.com or yahoo news. Now I look up at the clock again because I'm starting to feel a little tired. It's 2:30 in the morning. My alarm will be going off in 5 hours and I should be at my desk in less than 6 hours. I know I'm going to feel like shit at 7:30 if I get up at all, but at least I enjoyed my night, right? Well... no matter how hard I try, some nights just feel like a waste. I always feel like I could do more.

So that's how it goes. 10pm I'm thinking, "hey, this would be a great time to go to sleep. You'll feel great tomorrow!" But that all get's overwritten by "fuck that shit, you know you need way more sleep in a night than you can get going to bed now. Enjoy your night. Do whatever the fuck you want to do! YARGH!" BTW, my angel and devil that pop up on opposite shoulders are not exactly angels and devils. It's more like a Nerd and a Pirate. If I only could master flash animation I'd have a ton of funny little movies to make. I think in technocolor cartoons from the 40s (think Yosimite Sam, Foghorn Leghorn, and Popeye) and some shit that I see in my head would make excellent short cartoon fodder. I digress. Anyways, another reason I hate going to bed is that I have no idea how I'm going to wake up. Time plays a big part, but it's no more than half the battle. The depth of my sleep is like throwing the dice. One night I'll go to bed at 11pm and wake up feeling great and the next I'll go to bed at 11pm and wake up feeling like shit. Both days will be the exact same for all intensive purposes but the results are very different. Because I always believe things are going to go my way I just bank on the fact that I'll sleep really well if I want to stay up late. That's not the case 90% of the time, but for some reason my brain refuses to understand the situation.

This post is only getting worse and worse as I type. I'm going to make some phonecalls and clean this dump up a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home