Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Knock Knock...

So I went to bed early last night. I was feeling pretty good about having 9 hours left to sleep when I layed down and was confident I was going to have a very good day at work today.

So I fall fast asleep. The hours pass. I have a dream where I hear a very loud and clear doorbell. I wake up for a split second, look at the clock, see it's 5am and realize that nobody rings my doorbell in the middle of the morning. 10 minutes later, the same thing. Vivid dream of a doorbell. Then it happens again, and again and again. Every 10 minutes my doorbell rings. I thought I was going insane for 2 reasons: 1. The doorbell is in my head. 2. Nobody would even be so detailed as ring (or to dream that someone was ringing) my doorbell every 10 minutes to the second.

Finally, after about an hour I hear an angry, "YO! YOU IN THERE???" Come through my door. I all of a sudden realized that this wasn't a dream. It was an angry guy at my door trying to wake me up at 5am for some reason. I couldn't think of any reason but to fight, so I put on some shorts because I've seen too many episodes of cops to walk out there in my drawers only to be dragged away in cuffs with yambag flopping around on national television. I look through the peephole and he was standing dangerously close to my door, but about 1/3rd my size. I step aside and swing it open and say abruptly, "WHAT???" He looks straight into my chest, takes a startled step back, and then starts shaking. I realized I was in no danger and let my guard down. I still had no idea why he was standing there, but my one word greeting should have given him a good idea what to do next. He just stands there wringing his hands and trembling.

He looked to be about my age, maybe a year younger or older, had a light beard and stood a skinny 5'9". He was dressed in typical college guy clothes of sweats, flip flops, and a sweatshirt with a logo accross the chest I didnt' bother reading. The only thing I was sure of was that the hour he spent trying to wake me up made him a little too brave, and he knew it.

I dropped my aggressive stance the second I realized the tough guy who had been trying to wake me up realized he had got himself in a world of trouble.

He still didn't say anything, so I asked in a kinder tone, "So, what can I help you with?"

"well... I was... um... downstairs and we... uh... I... heard some loud walking or thumping or something... uh... from... your apartment... around... 4am or so..."

"I was in bed at 10:30, pal, you've got the wrong guy."

"this is... um... probably... well, most surely... maybe not you... but yeah... something like... the.... 10th time it's happened... or something... so if you could."

"If I could what? I just told you I was in bed at 10:30 last night and there was nothing on, running, or moving in this apartment until you decided it was time to wake me up. I don't know what to tell you."

"well... um... there was thumping and loud walking..."

"stop right there, champ, you live on the first floor of a 5 story apartment complex next to the stairwell and you are 100% sure that me sleeping in my bed sounded like thumping and loud steps?"

"uh... maybe it was someone else... I dont' know... but we heard loud thumping and footsteps..."

"I'm glad you came directly to me with your problem. I'm also glad you were so polite in explaining to me what your problem happens to be. I'm also glad to see that we both now know that there was nothing coming from my apartment at 4am this morning. But, if you come up here ringing my doorbell and yelling through my door before the sun comes up again you and I are going to have problems"

"..."

"so have a nice morning, and don't hesistate to bring any further problems to my attention. If there is anything I can do for you, I'll be happy to help."

"... so what time do you wake up in the morning?"

"Not that it matters, but I normally sleep until 7 or 7:30... 2 and a half hours from now."

"I'm Mike."

"I'm NJX70... beat it."

before I had properly pronounced the letter T in it's entirety he was gone.

I don't like to take such an aggressive stance with people, but when you have an unexpected visitor during the darkness of early morning who's yelling at you through your door and ringing your doorbell over and over it makes sense to be ready for anything.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI.....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9992613/
Sleep Apnea Found To Double Stroke Risk
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Yale University's researchers said people with a sleep disorder called obstructive sleep apnea are twice as likely to die from strokes. Lead author Klar Yaggi of Yale's Center for Sleep Medicine calls apnea an important new risk factor for stroke, the nation's third leading cause of death.

The study was released today.

Good thing you're taking care of the situation....Good luck

3:57 PM  
Blogger NJX70 said...

Thank you, I read that article, then went a little deeper and read the actual press release from Yale. Good stuff.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home