Thursday, October 20, 2005

Operation: Night's Sleep

I went to the doctor over at Morristown Medical Center this morning and had a checkup. They needed my weight (300lbs) and blood pressure (I can't remember, but it was in the green!) and I sat and waited for the doc. She came in and asked me what I was experiencing. I told her like this:

If I didn't set an alarm I would sleep for 24 hours. I wake up feeling more tired than when I went to sleep. Several people have told me I snore horribly and that I stop breathing for up to a few seconds throughout the night. I drink way too much coffee to get myself going and to maintain being alert. I never feel rested no matter what I do. I'm tired 100% of the time. I sleep through my alarm more and more. When I wake up I'm hitting the snooze button a dozen times before I freak out and realize I'm not going to have enough time to get to work. I can't live like this anymore.

She said, "here's a card for a sleep disorder center. That's sleep apnea."

I called the sleep disorder center and they had to call me back in an hour. I was on the phone with a client when they called so I had Helder pick up my phone. I call back, set up a date for a sleep study (November 6th. 9PM) and she starts explaining what they do. I come in by 9pm on Sunday the 6th. They give me a room with a small bathroom and TV and I stay the whole night. They hook up diodes similar to the ones they use for EKGs to my head, arms, and chest and I go to bed. I'm out of there between 6 and 6:30 in the morning and I'm done. The results are then read and "typed" by the staff at the sleep disorder center and they are sent to my doctor who will then get in contact with me. That should take a week. I was hoping I'd be well on my way to a good night's sleep by then, but I guess I've been living with this long enough to go another couple weeks.

Let me just tell you how excited I am to be getting this taken care of. I dream of being able to live a normal life where I wake up to an alarm, have a cup of coffee, and go to work feeling rested and awake. I can't even remember what that feels like. It's only got worse since high school and I NEVER feel like doing shit because I'm always running on E. On top of that I am very self conscious about my snoring. When I stay at a friend's place I always look for somewhere to crash far away from everyone else so I don't bother anybody. Even then I get the, "dude, you snore SO FUCKING LOUD." followed by an imitation every single time. It feels like it can't even be real that this can be stopped. It's almost like I'm getting a wish.

I'll keep everyone posted on any news. I'm sure someone will stumble here looking for sleep apnea information and hopefully I can give a first hand account as things are happening well enough to help people make their own decisions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home