Tuesday, October 11, 2005

It's 1AM and...

I have decided it's a good time to post a note to this ol blog.

I asked a couple people today if they knew that it was supposed to rain on Saturday. Everyone I asked said, "You didn't? I heard it was supposed to drop 8 inches." Of course I didn't know it was going to rain... at least not like THAT. So, why is the perfect storm significant? Because I went to NYC for another great night out and NYC means walking. I don't own an umbrella because I love the feeling of rain and I own a gortex jacket. I never really expected to be walking around in the eye of a hurricane. I guess the people at gortex weren't expecting me to either.

Here's the story. We meet up, it's raining. She has an umbrella because she has some sense. We walk to a diner in your everyday shower. We leave the diner, still raining, but not really hard enough to make you think twice about it. We walk down to a bar (allegidly an NYU bar) and have a few drinks. 9:30 rolls around and I have to get going so we leave the bar... into the ultimate rain storm. I then proceded to walk the 5 or 6 blocks it was back to my truck in rain that felt like I was swimming. My glasses were pointless because they were covered in rain drops. Without my glasses during the day I'd be fine. At night it's a different story. I couldn't even read the road signs when I was right under them. I actually had to call her up to re-ask for directions because I couldn't tell which way I had to go by sight. I figured my phone was a goner with how much rain was coming down, but it's cool. Crisis averted. Anyways, the rain felt awesome while it was happening, but my clothes were so wet that I started shaking the second I got into the truck. I actually drove home from manhatten with no shirt on because it was soaked to the point of futility. Even the hot air from the heater felt cold because it was hitting wet cotton and skin. I felt like I was actually being weighed down by the water logged clothes I was wearing.

Then came the drive home.

I had a great time and normally when I enjoy myself and have no place to hurry off to I don't spend a ton of time looking at directions back home. Especially in the city. Every time I've been to the city I've just looked for signs, went back the way I came to the best of my knowledge, etc. This time I got so turned around I ended up lost for a good half hour and decided it would be best to just follow the water until I saw signs for a bridge. This is, remember, during a rainstorm as strong as any I've ever seen. This is in the top 3 rains I've been through. 1 being the hurricane that hit CT my freshman year of college. 2, the day it rained like the end of the world at Millersville. 3, Saturday night in NYC. I couldn't see shit, my truck was hydroplaning all over the fucking road, and there were still so many people on the road with me that it made it almost impossible to look in one direction long. I couldn't tell which lane was which for just about the whole ride home. I took 80 the whole way back and I don't think I broke 45mph. There was flooding at every other exit and I was really starting to wonder if 80 was going to be closed down. Luckily I got home in one piece with some happy memories and no shirt. When I got out of the truck, after riding topless for so long with the heat blasting, I hopped out and thought I was going to freeze in place. I immediately ran up to my apartment, stripped out of everything, and threw on a nice big sweatshirt and my favorite red sweat pants. I felt like I had been wet for days and got to experience that feeling you only get from spending time outside in the elements where you come home, clean up, and kick back in a nice warm chair with nice warm clothes on and just enjoy not being wet anymore.

Of course, it reminded me of football. I can't even tell you how much I hated that feeling for so long. Where you would be out in the freezing rain, snow, hail, wind, cold, etc and then you'd come inside after kicking your own ass for 3 hours and put on nice comfy sweats and get back to your nice warm townhouse. At that point I'd just be mad that it was so cold. I didn't appreciate how good it felt to be warm after freezing for hours. Saturday, it just felt nice to have spent the night the way I had planned and then to bundle up and relax.

Things are definately looking up in NJX70 World. I'm excited to wake up every day because you just never know.

so there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home