Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Awesomo 4000

Why am I more nervous now that I have the job then before when I was just interviewing? Why? I can tell you why. Because now I'm starting my career. That is the wierdest thing I've ever had to say. I'm starting my career. bleh. I tried going to bed early last night but I couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned all night and then somewhat slept through my alarm. I left about 20 minutes later than I had wanted to but still had plenty of time... unless the NJDOT was patching potholes on rt80... and they were. I was late by 18 minutes. Bill was busy when I got in, so I didn't feel as shitty as I should have. I didn't wear my suit because he had seen me 3 times in 7 days with the same suit on and I didn't want to make it 4. He commented on how I have to invest in suits because I can't come into work dressed "like that." I had a nice shirt and tie on.

So here's the fun part. I get to call Joe G up and tell him that I'm through. I don't want to do that at all. Not because I love the job, but because even after all the work bullshit, Joe G is a cool guy. It's not that I don't like him as a person (though that would make this so much easier) it's just that he isn't a good boss. I got the call that I had the job in front of my 2 best employees, Rose and Ken. I wanted to spike my phone and do the dirty bird in the kiosk, but then I looked at the two of them that knew exactly what that call was and it was hard to look them in the eye, know I'm leaving them, and not feel bad. What sucks about being the boss is that even though you are cool with your employees, they are your employees. I would like to keep up with them when I leave, but I know that is just one of the things that won't happen. It's just human nature and nothing to hate on, but it still sucks. I really hope Joe G lets Rose run the store because she'll do just as well as I have if not better. I feel the worst about leaving her because she counts on this job for her livelyhood. The others are all part time, but Rose is full time and this is her only job. If the store magically dissapears in the middle of the night then she would be unemployed with bills to pay. I hope she at least gets enough time to find herself something else.

Now here's how bizarro I am. Bill told me to go to the bookstore "today" and buy every single book on telemarketing, cold calling, and sales. The strange part is that I actually stopped on the way home and bought every book they had on telemarketing, cold calling, and sales. I have been told by at least a dozen professors over the years to buy this book or that book because it will help. What did I do? Laughed in their stupid faces. This time I couldn't wait to go to Barnes and Noble. Bill had mentioned a book Successful Telephone Selling in the 90s by Martin D. Shafiroff. I came home and did a search on www.amazon.com for "in the 90s" because I couldn't remember the exact wording and it was the first book to come up and was rated 5 stars. It's on it's way to beautiful Great Meadows as we speak.

I don't know, but I think that this job could be enough to motivate me out of being lazy. I really want to read all this shit I bought and I want to do well. Not that I've ever wanted to fail, but I'm notorious for doing the minimum. I want to use this opportunity as a springboard into a responsible life. I've been trying to ration my sleep properly, eat 3 meals a day, change up my daily routine, and see people I care about more often recently. This might just be the final piece to the puzzle. I just need a life beyond football that makes me want to wake up in the morning and I have not been able to find it or admit to myself that without football I'm not really motivated to do shit for a long time. Today feels like the day after you stop drinking when you can talk about how bad you used to be and how good it feels to change only my addiction has been sloth. I need this and I have it. I am so excited and I can feel things changing. It is going to be hard at first to ration out the time I need to start reading all these words I paid $125.00 for today, but by feburary 14th I want to have them all read and understood. It's also bizarro that I am taking an intrest in learning how to sell when I've always been really good at it. Bill made me feel like I really need to learn it when I have always been pretty damn good. That drove home the reality that I am not a pro and that I have to take everything I know and throw it out. I have to use who I am as a base for who I want to be and basically start over. I am ready to do it.

Finally, I want to thank God and everyone who talked to him for me. I haven't prayed the rosary for years until this week (and even this week I had to try and remember the numbers because my rosary beads are still buried from my move to Great Meadows 4 years ago.)

Oh, I also want to congratulate Bobby Orr on getting his first real job this week too. He got his job the same day I got mine and Hot Carl's (it's so uncomfortable to call him that now because my mother called him Hot Carl and has no idea what the fuck it means. She grabbed my phone for me one time when he was calling and looked at the name. She thinks it's some joke about his cuteness.) cousin's having another baby. Great fucking week.

rock and roll

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home