Thursday, January 27, 2005

Quiet

I am at the mall still. For some reason I thought I'd be in some corner office by now, but I should be realistic and hope to find a job by the end of February. I was supposed to hear back from AG Edwards on the results from my test yesterday, but I haven't heard anything yet. I'm guessing either I totally bombed, I did very average and there's no reason to be in a hurry to call me, or they just haven't gotten around to it yet. I will call tomorrow if I still haven't heard anything yet to see what's up... or not... we'll see.

We've gone over 7 days in a row without a sale. In fact, I haven't even run anyone's credit in that time. I had my employees run 2 so I wouldn't have to, but I personally haven't been on the phone with the credit company in over a week. It's not that i haven't been trying. I try hard to make sales. I just won't sell to anyone who will bring it back. If they want to replace their land line in their house and they live somewhere that has no service, I let them know that it probably isn't for them. Anyone who walks up to this store from a place I know for a fact we have service they will not leave without a phone, but those people are far and few between. At least recently.

Joe G wanted me to drive into Lodi so we could talk. I didn't want to, and he didn't push the issue, so I'm not going. I've learned if there is one thing that is the norm in this company it's simply not doing what you said you were going to do and then making up a long winded and lame excuse as to why. I don't even feel bad about it because I didn't want to go in the first place. I don't think that not wanting to is a good enough reason to blow off what your boss asks you to do... no wait, I do. That is what's so strange about working for WCB. If my boss doesn't feel like taking care of my store, he doesn't. If he doesn't want to settle disputed before lawyers are involved he doesn't. If he doesn't want to show up when he says he's going to, he doesn't. So I feel perfectly fine with not going and doing things he wants me to do. It's just the norm around here.

The mall is so quiet now. The 3 stores around us (Hickory Farms, Day-By-Day Calendar, and The lotion stand) are all closed now that the holidays are over. Now it's so quiet that I can actually hear the awful music in the mall. "Do you really want to hurt me?" is playing right now. I don't know if that's the name of it or not, but you know what stupid song it is. Even spencer gifts and Claires have turned down their music. At least when the mall was going nuts there was some good ol rock and roll coming from 20 feet away. Now it's soooooooo painfully quiet that the mall music stands out soooooo much. I hate easy listening... and that's all I do now.

Nerd Life Update: I was promoted to officer status in my EverQuest guild, The Kingdom of Lights this week. I know it sounds stupid, but it's always nice to be respected, even if it's by nerds.

I am going to get back to work now. And by work I mean surfing the web.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home