Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I Called first...

No answer.

Anyways, today I got blown up by Bill worse than I ever expected. I couldn't have been destroyed any worse if he had jamed a grenade down my pants and kicked me down the stairs Tango and Cash style. I had to do a presentation on two products that AG Edwards offers. One is an account that facilitates trading, and another was an asset allocation fund. I spent a total of 6 hours prepping for this and by the time I got in his office I felt like I had a really good thing going. Then he totally did everything in his power (and I mean EVERYTHING) to throw me off. I had two folders stuffed with useful information, exibits, diagrams and forms. I never made it into either folder. He was like, "ok, and go..." "Well, before I get into what I have today, I'd like to get a better idea of what you're looking for." "Stop, no. Do you have anything for me to fill out?" "Yes." [hand bill his questionaire] "So how do I fill this out? Do I do it in order? Are you going to ask me any questions?" "Well, first... [gulp] I'd like to know what you believe your investment goals are." "I don't know." [panic] "uh... um..." [bill stares at me with his signature confused look involving his brow crushing his eyes.] "OK, I'm worried about you're ability to close a deal. You don't even understand what you have to get across." And then for the next 59.5 minutes he proceded to lecture me and then go, "so... what would you say here?" "I'd say... uh... um.... How would you feel if..." "Stop, now you have to understand..." I didn't get one sentence out for one whole hour. I felt like I wanted to either hit someone or run away. Ye old Fight or Flight. There was nothing I could do. Bill had it in his powerful brain that he was going to crush me for all I'm worth and he did so mercilessly.

So after that I cheated my way through 4 online tests. I know the stuff inside and out, but that didn't stop me from saving about 3 hours of my life and doing it the easy way. Take that, AGE. I'm not wasting my time with stuff I've already proved to you.

I am getting the feeling that I'm retreating from things that are difficult. The hard stuff now is all review and bullshit. I have to train on our information system that is going to be replaced by a completely new one before I even go into production. Waste of time? Yes. Another waste of time indeed. I refuse to let myself have my time sucked into a black hole, so I just skim and cheat my way to sucess. Even though I believe whole heartedly that I don't need to do this stuff, it doesn't take away that feeling you get when you have homework to do as a kid and decide to stay out and ride your bike until after dark instead of buckling down and getting your work done. I really enjoy the stuff that I'm learning, but some of it is simply useless. Why should I practice using broker vision when it's not going to exist in 18 days? I can't even log into the system in full registered mode because AGE hasn't unlocked those priviledges yet. I have to just go through the training moduals and know it in theory without practice.

Well, I'm going to make another phone call. Let's hope this one goes through.

[update] got through.

I'll keep you posted.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Hmm... Getting reamed out by your boss and forced to waste time on useless applications. I sure am enjoying unemployment right now. Yessiree.

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home