Monday, June 06, 2005

Nerd Weekend and Halo 2

I didn't post shit this weekend because that's what happened... nothing. Actually, there were a couple highlights, but here's how it went. I sorta make plans with about 5 differnet entities for the same day/night and they all fall through. I end up hanging out with brad both friday and saturday night... and our heavyweight champ on fight night round 2 is amazing. We hooked up my second TV and his xbox and nerded it up like old school nerd gangstas. Played a ton of Halo 2 and got the usual. It starts out with us getting frustrated, then we change gears and can't stop laughing, then someone gets pissed (Mike) and flips the fuck out and leaves. Yes, kids are annoying. Yes, we lose just as often as we win. Yes, that's the idea.

Speaking of, I figured something out. Halo 2 is very frustrating to a lot of my old rainbow six 3 friends because they find that they are either not as affective in an arcade shooter as they are a simulation shooter, trash talk, or cheating. Bungie is doing a fantastic job with follow up on this game and are doing everything in their power to stop cheaters doing anything to manipulate the game. In fact, if you cheat and are caught (aka someone reports you for cheating and they look up your game on bungie.net and find that you actually were cheating) you are banned from xbox live for life. The next part that makes this game frustrating is the trash talk. It does suck, but you can always leave and start again. This is my major problem with the game, but there's no way to rationalize it. Bungie, proximity speach was a major fuckup. The final part is the "man I suck at this fucking game" syndrome. When we'd play rainbow we'd win some and lose some, but in the end we ALWAYS would dominate when it was our group of friends against randoms. If people cheated, they had to answer to it in the lobbey and would be removed to never return. If we were just getting our asses kicked in some room we'd just leave and join another one never to see them again. In Halo2, you have no controll over who you play, so the people you are playing feel they can say and do whatever the fuck they please because they will never see you again. The only criteria being used is your level which depends on your wins and losses. If you keep winning you go up in rank, if you lose you go down. The goal is to find an equal match all the time. According to Bungie.net (who keeps insane stats on every game you've played online and an easy interface to view them all... including every kill location... amazing) here is my match/win ratio for all games I've played since the stat reset about a month ago:

Rumble Pit (solo): 1/0 NA
Big Team Battle (8v8): 16/8 .500
Team Slayer (4v4): 88/48 .545
Team Preview (4v4): 30/15 .500
Double Team (2v2): 30/16 .533

According to these stats it's not as bad as it seems. If my ratio of wins to losses was higher or lower than .500 it would say that I'm not matched up against people who I am fit to play. Yes, dominating games is fun, but is that what you really want? I've spoke about this with my friends several times and they feel that rank should be completely eliminated in favor of a "you get what you get" matchmaking system, but I know for a fact that when I've played in rooms with people ranked much higher than myself I've been smoked and when I've played under different gamertags with much lower ranks I've simply run over people. Maybe now that I've reached the level I'm at the losses are leveling out with the serious wins of the past, but I feel strongly that eventually I'll be at an equilibrium where I will win some, lose some, and it will be fine. I just don't know if I'll be able to get some of my friends to realize this.

I am posting this on my late ass luch, so I'm going back to work. If I'm so motivated I'll post a much more in depth review of matchmaking either here or on my nerd blog http://thesixsidedringoffire.blogspot.com this afternoon.

Goodbye...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home