Monday, June 27, 2005

Real Life: Part 1

StLouis week1 021
don't know how legal this is, but I took a few shots out the window of the plane.

I did it. I spent a whole day at the office and was busy and active for all of it. I spent the morning entering data and calling people. In the afternoon I called for a few hours and got some mailers together. In the middle I met with Bill as a full fledged producer for the first time and got some great ideas together. It was a fantastic day. I made 2 really good contacts and a handful of decent ones. I didn't hit my number of contacts I had hoped for, but I had a shitload of things besides prospecting to do. I know, I know, you're not supposed to worry about anything but prospecting, but I had a ton of catchup to do seeing as I didn't have business cards until about 3 this afternoon (and I had promised to send cards to about 45 people since last friday) and didn't have access to my broker vision out in St.Louis. I won't bore you with descriptions of what broker vision is, but I will say this: It rocks it with a capital R.

I feel much better about my career, but I don't think this feeling will last long unless I start scheduling a ton of appointments ASAP. I have one half setup for thursday, but I have to confirm it tomorrow. I really hope the dude comes through because I KNOW I can help him and his showing up will help me more than he could possibly imagine.

I am also learning a little about why we new brokers do so well. Here is a little taste of what the life of an FC is like. You start out prospecting and calling everyone you can get to listen to you. You bring in 12 accounts a month and build a substantial business. Once you've made people happy, they start referring their friends and family. Once you bring them in and make them happy, they refer their friends and family to you. Etc etc. Now every person you have on your book should be "touched" once a month and brought in for a "checkup" once a year. Each checkup probably lasts between a half hour and an hour at least. Now, that seems all fine and good, but once you have 365 clients that's one checkup a day that takes probably an hour on average. That's crazy. You should be out on appointments bringing in new money and networking on just about a daily basis. If you're constantly meeting, calling, and writting existing clients then how are you going to bring in new ones? There are older brokers who have over a thousand accounts... how the hell are you supposed to service them all? That's where the new brokers come in. I call so many people who have long standing accounts at other brokerage firms that can't even remember their broker's name because it's been so long since they last heard from him. They are dieing to be taken care of, and I'm just the man to take care of them. Eventually I'll have too many clients to give them all the individual attention they want, and some punk who just passed the 7 will be there to swoop in and offer them what they want. The cycle goes on. How many you keep depends on what you're willing to do/spend to keep them. I have plans in my head that should solve the problem, but why would I post them up here where other brokers could steal them and stop me from stealing their clients? ha!

So this is my life now. I am going to do well if today is any indication, the only problem is that every person I've spoken with that has substantial money and a desire to work with me is going to take time. Some want to enjoy the summer before doing business, others have busy seasons, family issues, vacations, etc that keep them from moving ahead right now. I will get them, but it will take time. I really want to be the guy who makes their lives better, but it's going to take a lot of time for me to prove myself. I wouldn't expect any less. It's a big deal and I only want people who are going to take it seriously, but I also want to open my 12 accounts this month so I don't get shit on by my bosses. I'm just going to have to learn how fast I can push people before they lose patience with me.

I also ordered my hands free kit today so I don't end up with taco neck. Calling for hours on end with a receiver in your hand isn't fun. It wasn't so bad out in st.louis because of how it was set up, but at my desk I could really use both my hands. Not only would it make it easier to manipulate paperwork, but I could easily enter things into my computer real time instead of writting down notes and punching them in later. Every minute I can spare is another call. Every 200 calls is another account. Every account is one step closer to reaching my goals and living a happy, comfortable life.

So there you have it. Day 1 over and still looking forward to day 2. I never thought this day would come. I'm so proud of myself because I'm doing this for me. When I am sucessful it will be because I did it myself. Every day is an adventure and every single day is going to be fun if only because of the challenge involved. I love my life.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Taco neck? LOVE the term! ;)

In every job I've ever had I've always had HUNDREDS of surplus business cards. 90% of the ones I gave out were to friends and other social contacts. (Maybe they're more useful when you're actually *important* at the firm you work at. ;)

11:54 PM  
Blogger NJX70 said...

Well, I guess important is one way to put it. Sending cards with a touch of information is a good way to start building a relationship. Without the card, the letter is unprofessional, that's why I waited until they got in.

Unfortuneatly I couldn't figure out what was OK to send and what wasn't, so I have to wait until tomorrow to iron out the details with my boss before I mail out the letters.

11:56 PM  
Blogger iwasfixin2 said...

it's totally legal to take pics from inside an aero-plane. as long as you don't do it when the nice people tell you not to (take off's and landings.)

it's amazing how many incredible things you can see from a plane. very few people ever take pictures of those scenes. good on ya!

3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home