Friday, December 23, 2005

I just had a program freeze, so I restarted my PC...

...and lost one of the longer and more important posts I've ever written... holy fuck I'm frustrated.

Here's the short version:

CPAP is working, kind of. It leaks air through a valve that's supposed to only let air out when you breath out once it ramps up to full pressure. I also need 8 hours of sleep when I'm wearing it. I was hoping for 4, but I'm not able to wake up until I've been asleep 8 hours now. I feel more awake and alert. I have the motivation to go out and do stuff, but now I have to make sure I'm in bed. 1. I don't wake up for 8 hours. 2. My doctor can see when I went to bed and when I woke up every single day. (aka he's going to tell me to go to bed earlier).

Tomorrow is the "food festival" at my job. I was told to bring 2 dozen eggs. One of the top producers came by and asked me how many I was bringing because he's been bringing the eggs for 11 years. It obviously bothered him that something was different. He felt that it meant the girls setting things up didn't trust he'd do his job. He was laughing and smiling, but he made his way to the total opposite side of the office to come talk to me and it was the first time he'd been anywhere near my office since I've been here. He's exactly what I want to be and he makes me super jealous. Why? Because he started out just like me and built his business just like I'm building mine and he does almost 2 million in production a year and has done so for 11 years.

What's the difference between him and I? 15 years. He started 15 years ago when you didn't have the DNC, answering machines, or caller ID. When he was calling people, if the phone rang, you'd pick it up because you had no idea who was calling and there was no way for you to screen the call. At least in most households. If you had a phone book and the desire to call a lot of people you'd speak to a lot of smart people who'd realize that you're also a smart person and can help them. Thus, you start bringing in business. Back when he started all you needed was drive to make it. Now you need drive, a patient boss, and a lot of luck. Why? Because every smart person hears that they can stop people they don't know from calling their house by putting their number on a list. Why wouldn't you? If you need something you can always pick up a phone book. Sounds great? Right?

Well, let me tell you what I knew about investing before I got into the market. NOTHING. I had 401Ks that I still couldn't tell you how they were invested. I never funded an IRA. I never even knew what a mutual fund was.

Anyone 65 and younger who's working right now probably will not live a good life in retirement. There are virtually no pentions left and nobody knows how to save. Pre-financial consultant me included. If you're not funding your 401k and IRA to the annual maximums AND saving outside your retirement accounts you are going to suffer greatly in retirement... that is if you ever get to a point where you can stop working. I'm not making this up. More than 75% of the people I talk to between the ages of 60 and 65 do not have more than $200,000 saved up. Less than 10% have more than $500,000. That means they are going to run out of money before they die. Let that sink in. They will have to live like paupers in their golden years because they simply don't have anything to live off of. After working your whole life you deserve some time to relax, enjoy family, travel, and do whatever else you have in mind

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home