Thursday, December 08, 2005

Sleep Study Results

I went back to the doctor and got the results of my second sleep study with the CPAP mask. As it turns out... my doctor's a hack. I don't know if this is such a relatively low malpractice discepline or if he just has so much work that he can't focus on anyone, but everytime I get in there he has no idea why I'm coming in to see him and questions me on the same shit time and time again.

For instance, he referred to a survey I took where it asked me how likely I'd be to fall asleep doing different things like watching TV, reading a book, etc. I said the likelyhood of me falling asleep was slim because in reality, if I'm focused on something that's important to me or that I enjoy I have no trouble staying awake no matter how tired I am. I've been tired for years, I'm used to not falling asleep doing things. So, I had to tell my doctor AGAIN my whole story. Then he went to the results.

He said that with the CPAP mask I had 21% REM sleep and 28% deep sleep. He sounded excited reading that like he had cured me. Then he flipped to my first sleep study without the mask and it was 18% and 14% respectively. I guess doubling deep sleep isn't as much a change as it sounds because he was like, "oh... so... you were just mild?" "I don't know, doc, you're the one with the charts."

After a hurried conversation with him that lasted all of 10 minutes he was like, "well, I'm going to prescribe you a CPAP machine. You will hear from one of the girls at the office by the end of the week and you'll have your machine by the end of next week. I want you to sleep with it every night for a month and then come back in and we'll talk about the results." Exactly what I expected. How can you go wrong prescribing a machine that helps you breath? It's not exactly going to kill me if he's wrong, so I don't see where he has anything to lose. But, there is the possibility that a mouth piece will fix the problem as well, but he wants me to wait until after I've slept with the mask for a month before I make any decisions on the mouth piece due to how expensive it is. If I feel like a new man at the end of the month, then the sleep apnea is why I feel like shit in the mornings and I'm cured with the option of a less birth control esk solution. If I still feel the same or not that much better than I have to be evaluated for other solutions. The Good Doctor doesn't like to talk through what those solutions might be, so I have no idea. He mentioned the last time that it could be cured with drugs, but I don't know what the hell drugs could do about snoring/apnea.

So anyways, ladies and germs, that's the story. I will definately be wearing a CPAP mask in the next 2 weeks and hopefully by the new year I'll be a new man. At least that is something to look forward to.

fuck you.

Love,

NJX70

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home