Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Energy Saved!

I figured out a pretty solid way to save electricity over the past few months. What was bothering me was that my fridge was running non stop. I'm talking running to the point where it sounds like it's straining to keep going. It's a brand new fridge with "energy saver" written all over it, but it just would not stop running.

I tried turning the temp up to see if that would stop it... no dice. I turned it up and up and up until the motor clicked off, but then it wasn't keeping the food very cool at all. I had a gallon of milk go bad on me in about 3 days when I finally got the fridge to stop running non stop, so that idea went out the window.

I sat down and really thought about WHY it would run non stop. I have been broke forever, so if there's a handful of stuff in there, that's a lot.

I was thinking out loud and I said, "you know, maybe if I put some ice in here to help this stupid piece of shit cool down then it would stop running." Then I realized that air transers heat faster than liquids or solids and that just opening a fridge that consists of a box of cold air would dump all the coldness out and it would have to start over again.

The solution.

What I've been doing is saving my gallon milk jugs, filling them with water, and putting them back in the fridge. With 4 gallons of water in the fridge my electric bill went from $80 to $19 with a $15 monthly surcharge included in both numbers. I was seriously sitting in the dark and taking cold showers for months because I was trying hard to bring that number down. As it turned out, it was just an asshole fridge.

Over the next few months I was using other things to see what affect they had on my bill. Running my PC nonstop all month really had no affect, the dishwasher wasn't a huge affect, running a fan did nothing, watching TV did nothing. What I mean by nothing is that I'm keeping my bill around $20 a month reguardless of what I do just because the stupid fridge is full of water.

Of course it's summer now, so the AC has been on non stop... so goodbye savings, but at least I'm not wasting $$$

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home