Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Quiet before the storm

Well... quiet isnt' the right word. Lack of direction would be a better one. I am now between jobs. That means that I have to get my shit together and be ready to start my career in about a week. I have been doing research, looking at apartments, and getting my wardrobe up to par. I spent 1,700 bucks on suits this past saturday. I've been stressed out but not really by what's going on around me, by the lack of absolute direction. I know about what I have to do, but I'm not 100% certain one way or the other. I have been reading books, but I don't know if they are the right ones. I have been looking for an apartment, but I don't know exactly when my job will start aka when I'll have money. Basically, I've been running around but not really sure where I'm trying to get to.

Today was a nice break from my normal schedule filled with reading about sucessful brokers and playing EQ. Brad stopped by and we took my welder for a spin. I bought it because I got a $300 welder for $50 when I worked at home depot... years and years ago, but I never used it. Welding is one of those things where either you know what you're doing and it's a no brainer, or you are two idiots with a lot of time on your hands shooting steel boogers all over the place. We were the two idiots. We did make strides and now know how to operate the machine, change wire, etc. I actually was feeling pretty good by the end of the afternoon... besides the fact that we were accidentally burning plastic the whole time and making my garage stink like burning metal and plastic smoke. Now that Brad has realized how much fun welding is he will do all the research and get all the information to figure this mystery out. You would think it would work like a hot glue gun only with metal... you'd be almost right, but not really. The idea's the same, but there isn't a lot of room for error. If you don't set it up just right you are going to end up with a piece of metal that looks like the surface of Mars and a bad joint.

I've heard from experienced welders that you start out with scrap, you move up to an end table, then to a table, then to a stool, then a bench, then a chair, and then you can move onto automotive stuff. Once you've fabricated all that other garbage you should have a good enough feel for what you're doing to get the job done on your truck... which is my goal. I have a lot of things I'd like to do to my Ramcharger, but a lot of them are expensive just because I have to pay someone else to do them right now. This will be the first skill I pick up to help me do the work on the restoration/build up myself.

Again, I am sorry for my lack of posts recently. I have gone between hating myself and loving myself so rapidly that I really didn't want to post when I was feeling strongly one way or the other. Right now I'm tired... and that's a good enough middle ground for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home