Thursday, February 03, 2005

Saying goodbye

I hate goodbyes. Even when it very well could be the best thing you've ever done, saying goodbye is hard. It's not the fact that you are not going to be around, it's that you are permanently never going to be in the same situation ever again. If it wasn't final, things like goodbye would be easy.

I said goodbye to two things today. The first one was passive. I got a call from the NJ Xtreme about our first mini camp starting monday. I am not going to go. Goodbye, Xtreme. That was sooooo hard to do. Second was to my store. I have cleared my schedule starting Sunday and from there on out. As of Sunday I will no longer work at WCB. It's not like I'm fired and have nothing, I have a job with AG Edwards now. I just am going to miss showing up in jeans and being in controll. Now I'm back to entry level, trainee, new guy. If everything works out I'll be rocking and rolling in 6 months. If it doesn't, I'll be struggling to make it through the day. That is the risk I am taking. I am giving up football and a low activity schedule for a fast paced and challenging career. I know this is what's best, but damnit if I didn't want to get myself ready for minicamp. It's going to be a long six months.

I have been reading books to get myself aquainted with better sales techniques ever since I took the job. I finished Cold Calling Techniques (that really work!) yesterday and I started Little Red Book of Selling today. If by started you mean picked it to be read next. I will get into it as soon as I finish this post. CCT(trw) was a great book. It was only $5 and it gave me some really easy tips on how to make better cold calls and how to see better results without having to sound like an ass on the phone. Cold calling is way outside my comfort zone, but I did it anyways. If I had read this book first I would have been so much more comfortable and sucessful. Simple stuff like what you need to get accross in your opening, how to turn around negative answers, how to avoid negative answers, when to just say "thank you" and hang up, etc. This should be required reading for all telemarketers. I would accept more calls from them if they treated me like this guys says to treat all your leads. I have been paying attention to what people say to me during cold calls (especially at work) and they suck.

Smiggz sighting #3. He's a cool guy. I hope he makes it in the hip hop community.

Customer just came up and reported her phone was JUST stolen about 20 feet from my store. If my memory serves, she was the same woman who hadn't paid her bill in 3 months and came up asking if I could get it turned back on with a $20 payment. Anytime someone talks to me about their existing account (unless they want another line) I immediately think FRAUD!!!

Allrighty, folks. I have to go read for a couple hours and shut down the store.

goodbye

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home