Saturday, May 14, 2005

Willis/Homer

The reason I started this blog to begin with was that I wanted to write a book. I felt like my writting was suffering because I never wrote and I wanted to document the stories of my life whilte their still fresh in my mind. That includes when I have a memory of my childhood that all of a sudden is clear. I had one of those moments yesterday and I have to document it here. As my life settles down expect more posts like this.

My father never called my by my first name until I graduated high school. He always called me either Willis/Willy or Homer. There was no reason to give me a nick name, my name is bizare enough. It's not like he would yell out "NJX70!" in a crowd and I wouldn't think he was talking to me. Also, this was from as early as I can remember, and seeing as I can remember my own birth, that means he was calling me by my nick names since 1980. There were no simpsons when he was calling me Homer. Willis/Willy... I have no idea why. I have no idea where those names came from either. I still want to answer anytime I hear either name because I was called Homer or Willy growing up more than I was called NJX70. I still remember being called NJX70 for the first time. It was on a fishing boat right before I graduated. I was done with school and had 3 days off before the actual ceremony. My dad took me out for blues off of Belmar, NJ. He called me NJX70 and I stopped and felt funny. It was then that I realized that I couldn't remeber ever hearing him say my name. I'm sure he did, but not in conversation. I don't know what he was thinking or why he did that, but there was an obvious switch from being called my "childhood" names and my "grownup" name that happened the day I was done with public school. All I want in life is to be the man my father is, and in a strange way, him not using my name until I was almost 19 years old and then doing a 180 and never calling me Willy or Homer again was special. I miss being called by my childhood nick names, but I wouldn't change any part of this story for the world.

OK, enough of that. Tonight I'm going down to Philadelphia. Let the speculation begin.

2 Comments:

Blogger NJX70 said...

That was a joke. The first thing I really remeber was when I was coming up on 1 year old. I was talking and walking way ahead of scedule and I actually used to break out of my crib. I watched my mother put me in and how she raised the side and locked it from underneath. I would wake up, reach under the crib, undo the bar, the bar would slide down to the floor and I'd swing my leg over the top and slide down like a fireman. My mother couldn't figure out how I was getting out of my crib so she asked me to show her. I said, "Like this, mommy." and got out. The next day I had my very first real bed!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

That story about you and the crib is so sweet. :)

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home