Monday, July 11, 2005

November 23rd

The date november 23rd is the last time I was at Pro Fitness in Rockaway, NJ to get my lift on. I am finally back at the gym. I don't know how serious I am going to be able to get on my own, but I'm going to do the best I can to get good hard lifts in alone. Today, for instance, I did dumbell bench because I couldn't kill myself doing it. I may not be able to go real heavy on barbell bench, but I sure as hell can do it with dumbells. Tomorrow is a golf day, but wednesday I'm going to give deadlift a shot. I love deadlifting, and it's another lift I can do alone as heavy as I'd like to go. Then thursday is another golf day (I'll explain in a second) and friday will be squat. Squat is the only real strange one to do alone, but I can just put saftey bars in the rack and at least I won't die. I may get semi squished, but that's a small price to pay for being able to kick my own ass.

So today's lift went like this:

.5 mile run (5:45 minutes)

Dumbell bench, 3 sets, 45, 65, 85
Shoulder press, 3 sets, 45, 45, 45
Shoudler Complex, 3 sets, 20 20 20
Tricept push downs, 3 sets, 120, 140, 150
Cable Curls, 3 sets, 120, 140, 150

I told myself if I was feeling good afterwards I'd go get my golf clubs from my parents' house and get to the driving range a few times. I've decided to go twice a week while it's nice out. I'm hoping at 6 or 7 when I get out of work, go get changed, and get to the driving range it will be cooled off enough to only make me sweat through one shirt while driving a bucket of balls. Candy's father gave me some good golf tips while I was up at his graduation party (yes, Candy is a dude... sort of) and I'm looking forward to giving them a try. Right now my focus at my job is getting on the phones and reaching as many people as I can, but in the future I am going to want to do more things like hang out with people at country clubs, community events, etc, so I MUST get better at golf. I am not horrible, but I lack the flexibility to really shine with a driver without serious work. I also am only mediocre at putting, so my game is basically drive the ball a couple yards, bust out the 3 iron, put the ball on the green, 3 put it. I need to at least get myself to the point where I'm able to finish a round of golf without killing anyone so I can go out and relax and just have a good time. Tomorrow will be the start of opperation get good at golf.

The other reason I'm trying to get back into the gym and on the golf course is to reverse this trend I'm falling into. I lost about 50lbs over the past 6 months by eating right, but that only goes so far. I'm really not that active at all right now. I go to work, sit at my desk and drink coffee all day, drive 5 minutes home, make dinner, and play xbox/eq/type on this stupid blog/talk to ladies on eharmony/etc all night. On the weekends it's normally a walk to the bars or a night of booze in the moonlight at a friend's house. I had a long drive to and from VT this weekend and did a lot of thinking. I evalutated my activity level and realized that I really don't do shit. I went from pro athlete to pro 3 toed sloth and it's not good. I think I'm looking aiight for not doing shit. I think that has to do with dropping the 50lbs, but in order for me to take my health/looks to the next level I need to get my stupid ass out of the apartment and actually break a sweat. So thus, I'm going to the gym on monday, wednesday, and friday, and hitting the driving range on tuesday and thursday. My half mile run today was below average at best, but I really didn't want to kill myself on the first day in so I wouldn't be too beat up to go back on wednesday. I just hope to get slightly better and over time get myself back to running 3 or 4 miles at a time. When did I do that? High school LaCrosse, that's when, fucker. Helder wants to come to the range tomorrow, but I don't know how often he wants to go. Brad wants to go, the driving range is in his backyard, but who knows with his job when he'll be able to go. Most likely I'm going to have to twist my own arm to get myself out the door, but I HAVE to do it. I can't let myself atrophy into a fucking slob just because it's easy.

I think I've finally lost as much weight as I'm going to by cutting out all bullshit, so this is going to be a good test of will power. If I can get to the gym 3 times a week for a month, I'll be there for good. I also heard that my old lifting partner is boxing in town, so I'm going to try to catch him this week and see what it would take for me to join him at his boxing gym. If anything will whip my ass into shape it's boxing. Best workout ever. When I was kickboxing I would go for an hour and barely make it home due to exhaustion. I can't even get like that playing basketball, lax, football, running, etc. Boxing is the best. Plus, I'll get to punch things. Bonus.

OK, enough words for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home