Tuesday, August 23, 2005

For every...

Friday there's a Monday. I don't know why I keep getting all fake deep on myself when I think of lines like that. It's not the fact that things like the earth's roation around the sun and the calendar progression are unstoppable forces in our lives, it's that every once and a while lines like, "there's always tomorrow" and "When we get through this we'll laugh about it later" really hit home. They never used to. When I'd hear people say shit like "life goes on" it would just piss me off. Now, I'll be standing in my kitchen heating up BBQ chicken from this weekend and I'll realize it's dark. Then my stupid train of thought which can't seem to find a track will snap to "holy shit it's dark allready? And look how little I did this afternoon, too bad I can't turn back time and... holy shit... you can't turn back time... and every day is as insignificant as the last and the next... and no matter how much you do or don't do you change nothing... Why do I even bother? What reason is there to try to make an impact on the world when something so simple as when I turn on the lights is out of my controll? Why does my head say stay up and type an entry when it knows my body won't makt it to work on time if I don't go to bed? Why do I have to give up my summertime activities once September rolls around? I haven't played golf and have only been to the driving range once this summer... when am I going to fit it in? Will everything ever work itself out at work? What does it matter?


DING!

Take out the chicken. Enjoy chicken. Back to the internets. Retarded psudo intellectual inner dialogue terminated.

But seriously, folks, The reason I wrote this is because on Friday I made a ton of really top knotch contacts with people that could, in all honesty, make my career if I can show them that I will take care of them properly. I know in my heart that I will do the best job possible and that they will not get any better advice, service, or understanding from any other financial consultant out there. I just need the opportunity to sit down in front of them.

Then there's today... 204 dials, aprox. 50+ contacts, ZERO cards going out. I got smashed. And for every "Friday" there's a "Monday" and for every day that I feel like this job is starting to turn the corner there is another day that I just want to *bite someone's face. "are you an investor?" "not interested." That wasn't the fucking question, asshole! If I had asked "Are you intersted in ______" and you said, "not interested" then it's bad grammar, but acceptable. But, if I ask, "are you an investor?" and you say, "not interested" you're not answering the proper question, you fucking idiot! Why don't you just listen? Why don't you give me a chance? I'm really way over qualified to deal with the people I'm calling. They think I'm selling magazines and I'm calling to offer them freedom from financial doubt. By the end of today I wasn't begging anyone. I wasn't parrying objections, I wasn't using CPR. I was just letting the ones who were too stupid to realize if there was nothing I could do for them I would tell them that and send them on their way... or that I don't sell anything over the phone... or whatever. I just hate that type of person. It's like you're reaching your arm through the fense to put down a bowl of water for a dog dieing of thirst and he bites your hand and spills the water out all over the ground. I bet at first you'd still feel bad for the dog. You figure that your arm going into his territory gave him the right to be defensive. You also figure with how hard he's got it that you really can't blame him for handling the situation innapropriately. So, at first you don't get mad at the dog. Then you think about it for a second and realize that you were going out of your way to help the dog. You were doing something that was uncomfortable and difficult to make that dog's life better and he bit you for it. Just because he's not used to bowls being reached through the fense doesn't mean the water wouldn't still save his life. Once you realize how stupid and self destructive that dog has been. Once you stop making up excuses for the beast... you are pissed. That's how I feel cold calling. I get people who made all the mistakes a person could make with money. They live off social security and have nothing left (I barely believe half of them, but some are genuine). All it would have taken is one call to go through. One call where you open your mind for 5 minutes and hear how simple and affective this can all be. Little sacrafices for huge long term rewards. By that time it's too late. Once you have nothing but your 3 grand a month coming in from the government, you're finished. But the people I talk to who are 10... 15.. 20 years from retirement(with young children who I'm sure will want to go to college) that simply don't listen to a word I have to say are just sad. They will end up just like the old and poor people. Why work so hard the first 65 years of your life to be confined to an apartment for the last 20 praying you find a way to cover your medical bills, let alone any vacations, trips to see family, or emergenices?

Let's just hope tomorrow's a "Friday"




*thank you lil Jimmy Norton. This line "bite someone's face" is a favorite of mine that I shamelessly stole from comedian and co-star of the hit national radio show "Opie and Anthony." You can catch him live from 7-11AM EST on High Voltage XM202.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time here, but sheesh....I read:


How do you tell a girl who you like that you can’t afford the gas to come see her when you’re a fucking financial consultant? It makes me feel awkward and useless.

FOLLOWED BY:

"are you an investor?" "not interested." That wasn't the fucking question, asshole! If I had asked "Are you intersted in ______" and you said, "not interested" then it's bad grammar, but acceptable. But, if I ask, "are you an investor?" and you say, "not interested" you're not answering the proper question, you fucking idiot! Why don't you just listen? Why don't you give me a chance? I'm really way over qualified to deal with the people I'm calling. They think I'm selling magazines and I'm calling to offer them freedom from financial doubt.

I've always thought there is nothing more hilarious than those who take advice on how to get rich from people who aren't.

Hint, ...when you want to learn how to do something successfully learn from those who are already successful at what you want to accomplish.

Your first comment quoted above shows deep down you realize that as well.

It's unfair to deride others for not giving you a chance to teach them to go someplace you haven't gotten your own self to yet.

While I can understand your frustration, sales calls are a tough way to make a living,...

to borrow your phrase, "fucking idiots" might just as well define those who would risk their hard earned assets taking financial advice from someone who can't even afford gas for their car!

4:26 AM  
Blogger NJX70 said...

Rav, I thank you for your well thought out response, but I do have an answer to your statement questioning why someone would take advice from someone who is not rich. I'm deep in debt from college loans. I went to Fairfield Univestity's business school which is one of the most respected business schools in the country. I can't have a ton of money when I was smart enough to refinance my college debt at a much lower rate but with much higher monthly payments.

Also, I am young, but I am very well trained. I can tell you anything you'd like to know about investing (in a general sense seeing as making investment suggestions to someone who you don't know well enough to know what's appropriate and what's not is against the law). I just dont' have the money myself to do it. I know what I would do if I had it, but I'm new to a commission only business that takes years to get started.

I wish I could give you an example of things I can do for my clients. I can, but I have to keep it very general. I have guys who need income during retirement, so I conservatively allocate a fixed income portfolio to meet their income needs while taking their risk tolerance and investment experience into account. I have young parents who I help save for their children's education so they don't get trapped under debt like I am. I'm an AAMS designee which is recognized by the CFP (college for financial planning) and required 160 hours of classroom time.

I think my financial status gives me a huge advantage. I know how important every dollar is. I know that it's not ok to throw people's money around. I'm very good at what I do and I've blown people away with my knowledge and expertiese. I've brought over clients from brokers with 30+ years of experience just by being attentive to their needs where more experienced guys just want to churn them for the quick buck.

I do understand where you're coming from, but if you think things like paying yourself first and dollar cost averaging are less important because they are coming from someone who's digging himself out of a massive college loan debt and living on his own while starting out in a career that he's dreamed about since he was a kid than you're crazy.

If you'd like to hear what I'm all about then email me. I would have loved to email you to hear what you're all about just to help myself get ready for the people like you out there that are tough to impress. Obviously this isn't a place that I try to portray myself in a simply business sense. This is where I'm free to talk in my language and give out my feelings on things that are happening in my life. Yes, I drive a truck with a 32 gal tank that goes about 200 miles before it needs another 100 bucks worth of gas. Yes, some of the girls I've been hanging out with are over 100 miles away. Yes, I'm being very careful with the little money I have so I don't end up with poor credit and nowhere to live.

Again, the offer is there. If you'd like to chat via email my address is IsaacBrockman@hotmail.com or you can AIM me at fnkmastai. whichever you prefer. I also use MSN messenger from time to time with my hotmail address as the contact.

I always welcome any critisim I can get because it makes me better.

Oh, and the people who say "not interested" when all you've said is, "are you an investor, and if so, are you open to new ideas from time to time?" then they aren't listening. They don't care what you can do. I could be a billionaire with a trillion dollars under management. I could be Mario Gabelli or Warren Buffet and they still wouldn't care. If they hear me out, and they tell me the truth, even if it's "I don't invest and I'm not looking to" or if they say, "I am an investor, but I have a guy working for me that I trust and I'd never work with anyone else" than that's FINE! I just want them to answer the question that is asked. I don't press, I don't fight, I just want to get the people on the phone who have an interest and will listen. Beyond that, I'll leave them to their own devices.

And, I CAN help them. I can take into account where they are now, what their goals are, what their risk tolerance and investment experience is, and put together a plan that will get them there (or let them know where they can go with who they are and what they have). I work for the best company in the business and I know for a fact what I do is better than 90% of brokers out there. I just need to find a better way to get in front of people to prove it to them.


Oh, and by the way, I have a 100% close rate. Every single person I've sat down with has opened an account that day. I've impressed them that much.

Again, I thank you for your comment and hope this site has entertained you enough to come back and read what I have to say.

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but I do have an answer to your statement questioning why someone would take advice from someone who is not rich. I'm deep in debt from college loans.

Hello Issac...appreciate your mature response.

However, your explanation about not being rich yet may be valid, but still doesn't offer proof
of being able to do it in the future.

For instance, between Dec. 1999 and the beginning of March 2000, I took my own portfolio from $67,000 to over a quarter of a million. I was a total naive beginner.

I was careful not to confuse a rising market with thinking I was a good investor.

My sister's portfolio, which she had in the hands of a young FP such as yourself also rose well, and she sung his praises.

However, when the fall came in March, she found he was no better than anyone else.

I'm not sure which major publication it is, but one of them used to run a yearly contest pitting a monkey throwing darts against major portfolio managers. The monkey was one of the better performers.

However, you mentioned teaching "things like paying yourself first" and that sort of stuff is always a WORTHWHILE endeavor to teach people.

One thing I noticed you may want to also teach is opportunity costs. Such as what it is really costing you each time you spend $100 to fill your tank. Every ten tanks of gas will cost you $6,727 in opportunity cost.

Opportunity cost "simply describes what money you spend today costs you in terms of the opportunity to have more money tomorrow". (from Life or Debt by S. Johnson)

In a 20 year period, you will have forgone $6,727....and that's if you had no debt. Since you could be using those $100 bills for debt reduction, you are probably foregoing nearly $20,000 twenty years from now for each ten tanks of gas you buy.

By the way, I'd give your favorite clients the Life or Debt book...it will make your job much easier and they will LOVE you for it.

Life or Debt by S. Johnson.

2:05 AM  
Blogger NJX70 said...

I have to get to work, so I'll make this quick. Between 1998 and 2002 a lot was learned about the market, not ever consultant is good no matter what returns you're getting right now, and the dot bomb could have been avoided using what I use now. I never try to beat the market. The clients who try to do that are setting themselves up to get destroyed. I don't mind matching or leading one year and lagging the next as long as I'm doing it with a far lesser ammount of risk by diversifying over many asset classes and market sectors. Always remember, "Down hurts more than Up helps."

Also, with the 100 tank of gas, I'm not sure what calculator was used there, but with a future value calculator that can take into account the interest rates, inflation, and market productivity I would venture to guess that it's more. Especially since if we go back to the original argument I was talking about doing that more than once a week, so 500 a month. I've done entire college plans around 500 a month.

Anyways, I'm off to work. Please note that I put up a post called "Dear, Rav" where I replied as well. I can imagine that you just bookmarked your reply and this specific post.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also in regards to:

"are you an investor?" "not interested." That wasn't the fucking question, asshole! If I had asked "Are you intersted in ______" and you said, "not interested" then it's bad grammar, but acceptable. But, if I ask, "are you an investor?" and you say, "not interested" you're not answering the proper question, you fucking idiot! Why don't you just listen? Why don't you give me a chance? I'm really way over qualified to deal with the people I'm calling. They think I'm selling magazines and I'm calling to offer them freedom from financial doubt.

I have no doubt that you are an excellent financial advisor, but surely responses like that can't surprise you but so much. You've never been called by a stranger when you have 4 pots all about to boil over on the stove? Or a screaming child throwing his dirty diaper around the room? There's a lot more going on in that person's life and they may not be in a position to drop everything and listen to this opportunity you're so kindly presenting them with when it's convenient for you. They don't *owe* you something just because you decided to offer a service they may or may not want or need.

I don't mean to trash what you do. From what I gather, a little telemarketing is an unfortunate side effect of your actual work. But when I'm not in debt, capable of managing my own finances, waiting for a specific call and painting the ceiling, if I hear "Do you need a way out?" on the other end, all I'm going to do is be as polite as I can in the time it takes my thumb to reach the off button on the phone while wondering why the do not call list didn't work. So try not to hate the dog too much.

My apologies for the disgustingly long sentences. This is my first time here, I'm enjoying it. :)

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home