Friday, August 11, 2006

The Fly

Today, I got to see something new. I found it 100% amazing to be more specific. I opened the door to my balcony and the window in my bedroom to air this dump out because it's actually not too hot outside and the humidity is low. I opened the screen door as well because my cats have destroyed it to the point where they can just walk through it anyway, so I figured what could happen?

Well, Virgil walked out on the balcony and was just laying around when all of a sudden he hops up and runs into the apartment as hard as he can run, jumps up over the couch and then goes flying down the hall. I had no idea what he was doing so I followed him.

When I caught up he was in the bathroom with his ears back, crouched low, and eyes wide. He was just sitting there looking at the tank over the toilet. All of a sudden I see a fly take off and go back down the hall... with Virgil hot on his trail.

Would you believe he got it? It was exciting and awesome to watch. He was hunting that thing, jumping in the air and trying to catch it with both paws, and following it everywhere it went like it had a neon sign over it's head. I could barely even see it, but Virgil was on it like crazy.

A few minutes later Wyatt comes out of my bedroom to see what all the commotion is about. Now the two of them are watching a second fly that's way up on the door. Wyatt gets a bead on him and pounces, catching him easily, but he gets away when he picks up his paw to see if he got him. The fly goes into my bedroom with two cats chasing him and tries to get out the window. He slips between the screen and the sliding glass window and is where they can't reach him.

Virgil looks back at me and starts crying. It was like a little kid who's ball got stuck on the roof. "GET IT! THAT'S NOT FAIR!"

Well, it did come back out and Virgil got him for good.

The third one got away through a hole in the screen and caused Virgil to start crying again. This time he just laid down by the hole and waited for him to come back.

I learned a few things:

1. Cats are unbelievable hunters.
2. Cats really ENJOY hunting and killing. It's like a game to them.
3. Cats can see very well and track motion extremely well.
4. Even though my building's dumpster is not far from my window, I don't have to worry about flies.

It's not that I didn't know these things before, but seeing them first hand for the first time was awesome. I'm not about to pray for mice, but if I did have mice, I know I wouldn't have to worry about them long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home