Monday, December 13, 2004

Aftermath

What a day. I am still shocked about last night. We all didn't get to bed until after 4 AM. My favorite thing ever is just having a house party with friends. Even if that is just a few dudes hanging out drinking beers somewhere that I'm comfortable it is the best. I even got gifts. One of them was a Sprint PCS bill from Drufus that he thinks is unfair. I thought that was a little wierd, but I'll take care of it. I got a couple of DVDs, a Speaker City polo shirt that I wore to work today, a Bengals shot glass, a couple of funny magnets, and a budweiser 40. We drank, had cake, and sang happy birthday, all the things I never thought I'd get. I have to go back a bit and explain how this all worked out and how it started because if it was a conspiracy to murder me I'd be in the afterlife saying, "why didn't I see that coming?"

This week was Brad's Brithday and he told me that because we don't hang out much that he wanted to just get a few rounds of beers at a local bar and just hang out and play video games for old times' sake. I had made plans to go to Millersville to hang out with my land pirate buddies down there and was not really pumped about blowing that off to play video games, but Brad is my best friend and blowing off his birthday wish would be against what I stand for, so I decided to stay in. He told me he was coming to check out the store and that I better close it early. I had no plans to close the store before 11 because I need every sale I can get, but the late night mall crowd is all just teens who parents don't love them, so I closed the store at 10 and left. Brad and I turned on the CBs and he let me know that "his parents needed him to pick up some soda from the store on the way home." I was like, "why don't they just go pick it up? You're probably staying at my place and they could easily go get a case of soda in Randolph." He replied, "I don't know what the fuck is wrong with them, but I gotta stop." I was running on fumes, so we stopped at a gas station with a junk mart, he got a couple bottles of soda, I filled up and we left for my place. He was in a huge hurry to get outta there. Somewhere along the way I should have realized that something was up, but I had no clue. Going back even farther, Beth called me up one day and asked for my Mom's work number. I didn't really know why she needed to talk to my mother while she was at work, but I gave it to her. My mother told me she had some question about some medical thing (my mom's a nurse) and that was the end of that.

So we get to my house and there is a wrecker (Tow Truck, you idiot) parked in front of my neighbor's house. It stood out as wierd, and I thought to myself, "hey, why is there a wrecker in front of their house? Shouldn't it be towing or not there at all?" But I still had no clue. So I go inside and look in my house and saw a guy that didnt' belong. It was one of my college roommates, Strada Bones. Then I noticed that there were a bunch of people in my living room. They didn't yell suprise, they just sat there and were like, "hey, what's up." I was so damn confused I didn't know what to do. Then Beth ran up and threw her arms around me and said happy birthday. I was speachless. My friends rule.

So here is how it went down. Beth called my mom to set it up, Brad was in charge of making me go home early and not go to Millersville, Drufus drove down everyone from New England, and Curt parked his wrecker with "Curt's Sunoco" emblazened on the side of it right in plane view. It was dark and I only saw the front, so it didn't throw me off. Originally, Brad was supposed to get me out of my house so Beth could get everyone in, but having to work 12 hours did that pretty well on its own. Everyone else parked way down the road so I wouldn't see anything out of the ordinary. I am always on autopilot when I commute, so I wouldn't have noticed if they put a sign in my driveway, but it was even cooler because I had no clue until I was standing in front of everyone. Of course they planned this way in advance when I didn't have shit to do on the weekends and they were all there from 6pm drinking and waiting on me. By the time I got there everyone was half in the bag and it was so much fun that I wouldn't have traded it for the world. A few guys I really would have liked to have been there couldn't make it, but they had legitimate reasons so it's cool. The Boston Strangler was moving into his new apartment in a snow storm, BBB just got a new car and had shit to do, and Bobby doesn't drive to my knowledge so he would have had to have come down with either BBB or The Boston Strangler so he couldn't come either. I know they all wanted to be here, and that in itself was flattering. Hot Carl made it down from Rhode Island and represented my Masshole friends. I feel real close with all those guys and it was nice to see one of them made it down to see me. Even when I know I'm friends with people it's important for me to have proof that they are friends with me. Hot Carl's appearance was like sending a rep to the UN and it made up for anyone else who couldn't make it.

When I came home today and saw the garbage can full of empty beer bottles and cans I stopped and for a second the whole night just felt like a dream. My brain is still having a hard time processing the fact that everyone showed up. All day I just went about my business like usual and it wasn't until I saw those empty beers that I realized it was not a dream at all. It feels like it happened so long ago. I can't believe it was just this morning that we were all hanging around talking. I don't know how to say it, but it feels like something that happend years ago, but it was TODAY. So cool. I love shit like this no matter how much I say I don't.

The night was summed up pretty well by Curt. I was getting a beer from the garage and he was walking to the bathroom and I told him, "Hey, Curt, thanks for coming. It means a lot to me." He replied, "Sac, if you get emotional on me I'm going to kick your fat fucking ass." Booya!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home