Saturday, December 18, 2004

Yay, Saturday! (kinda)

You know what's funny about working 7 days a week? You really don't realize what day it is until you have to write the date on some paperwork. This morning I woke up and for some reason I had the old feeling of happiness that it was Saturday. Normally my saturday mornings would involve me eating a big late breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast, cleaning my fishtanks and pruning all my aquatic plants, and then logging insane hours on either the xbox or the computer. Most weekends I had plans to hang out with friends for either friday or saturday night. Then there were the occasional nights that I would go over to a cousin's house for dinner or to Morristown to see my grandma. Those things were inconsequential in my old life before the store. They happened, I enjoyed or did not enjoy them, and then I went back to work on Monday morning. There were times I had a little too much fun and I would hate myself all day on Monday and swear that I wouldn't spend another weekend pirate drunk in VT only to drive back hungover on sunday night and go to work the next day.

The weekends were my time to do what I wanted. I could spend the whole day in my room or I could spend the whole weekend out with friends. It was up to me. I could pilot my truck into the driveway with nothing more than a few drops of gas left and not worry about filling up until monday morning. Some weekends I wouldn't drive, wouldn't talk on the phone, wouldn't do anything but hang out and play video games, surf the web, and do NOTHING from the close of the workday on Friday night through the wee hours of Monday morning. Nothing clears your head of a bad week of work like a true empty weekend. I just love wasting time. Not having to be anywhere at any time for days at a time is the way I like it. Now that gets old after a few weeks. I was unemployed and doing nothing after I graduated and it was great for a month, but after that I felt like I needed a job to get me out of the house and doing things. Playing pro football did that perfectly, but then the season ended and I needed something to pay the bills. In walks my new 10 to 6 Monday through Friday job. Perfect. It is near my girlfriend and near my football team. It's not too early or too late. 8 hours of office work and then I'm free to do as I please. I was in the process of finding an apartment when Joe G decided that I was going to run the Stroud Mall store. Sounds great doesn't it? I get to be the store manager and be in charge of employees. I don't have a boss standing over me. I get freedom to do as I please and schedule myself the way I want to work while making the company money. "Sure Joe G, I'd love to."

Fast forward to today, Saturday. It's 12:40 PM and I'm about to get ready to go to work for the rest of the night. When I get home it will be close to Midnight. Hopefully between the time I get in and the time I leave I will activate multiple phones, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Then I will go to sleep and wake up at 9 to work my fantastic Sunday schedule of 10 am to 10 pm. Then I will go to sleep and the weekend is gone. In walks Monday and I'm still on the 2 to 11 kick. Oh boy! I can't wait for next weekend! I get "Happy Friday" emails from all my friends who actually use their $140,000 education to their advantage every single week. I get to hear about all the plans they are making and all the fun they plan on having. I can't even go out for a beer because I know I have to be up again the next day to work long hours. There is just something about weekends that keeps us all healthy. Even if it's only one day off or on a non traditional weekend (monday/tuesday, etc) it keeps us all ballanced. It's that night a week when you can say "fuck it" and stay up and get drunk or watch movies all night or play video games or hang out with friends, or do whatever the fuck you want and your boss can't touch you for one whole day. The next day you can get up early and be productive or you can sleep until sundown and eat breakfast at 5 PM. If anyone has a problem with it, you can just drop the "Hey, it's MY day off" and be free of all guilt. My next day off: Christmas Day. My next day off: New Years Day. My 3rd day off: Easter Sunday. My 4th Day off: Christmas Day '05

I had more to say, but Beth called up and I would rather talk to her than complain here. I'm going to talk to her and then get showered and ready for work. YAY SATURDAY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home